Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards
Created in 2008, the Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards (HTAA) are presented annually to recognize outstanding achievement by local high school students in their musical and play productions. Modeled after The Tony Awards® on Broadway, the HTAA are produced and presented by the Hershey Theatre Education Department. Since it's inception, the HTAA program has awarded more than $180,000 in scholarships largely made possible through individual donations.
Apollo Awards Registration and Eligibility
Registration is not open yet for the 2018-2019 awards. Fall Play Registration opens in September. Spring Musical Registration opens in January.
Any public or private high school in Cumberland, Dauphin, Lebanon and Perry counties may participate. Schools in Elizabethtown area are also invited to participate.
Designed to encourage budding playwrights, the Outstanding Student Playwright Award is presented to a student in grades 9 through 12 who lives in the eligible region.
Students, themselves (rather than a director), register to be evaluated for the Outstanding Student Playwright Award by completing a Letter of Intent, due October 30, 2017.
- Outstanding Student Orchestra
- Outstanding Dance Number in a Musical
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Play
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Play
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Musical
- Outstanding Featured Performer in a Play
- Outstanding Featured Performer in a Musical
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Play
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Play
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Musical
- Outstanding Production of a Play
- Outstanding Production of a Musical
- Spirit of Theater
- Outstanding Student Playwright*
All evaluators are trained yearly in the scoring method established by the HTAA. Evaluators are required to attend mandatory training sessions throughout the year.
Evaluation of plays and musicals for the HTAA occurs in two separate rounds:
- First Round. Six evaluators attend the school productions. The five highest scoring individuals and shows in each category become the nominees of that category.
- Second Round. After nominations are announced, evaluators view required footage of the five nominations in each category. Votes are placed for each category. A sub-committee of production evaluators views the entire play/musical and ranks the shows accordingly.
Results are kept confidential until announced on the evening of the awards show. Further details on the evaluation process and additional regulations can be found on the Director's Information.
Since 2008, Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards (HTAA) has provided more than $180,000 in scholarships, largely made possible through individual donations like yours. Your personal donation to HTAA has a direct impact on the future of a young person who lives in the Central Pennsylvania area:
"I can't thank you enough for the award check that will be put towards my education to pursue my dream." - Olivia
"Thank you for the generous scholarship," and "Thank you for promoting the performing arts in today's youth." - Delaney
Annually, each student nominated in an receives a $250 scholarship. Your donation of $250 sponsors one of the scholarships that each nominated student receives.
A personal donation of $150 sponsors a school that is nominated for an outstanding performance. Your monetary contribution goes directly to that school to support its theatre arts program.